If you look over on the left side of my humble blog, you’ll see a number of books written by great indie authors. I don’t read nearly enough indie authors, despite wanting to “in theory.” My reasons:
- I also haven’t read any James Patterson novels, but I hope to one day, time willing. Right now, it’s much easier to go with a sure win. For example, anything by Robert B. Parker.
- There are too many indie authors to wade through in search of something I can really sink my teeth into, and again it comes down to time.
- When I’m not writing or watching TV or going-out with the wife or working, I’m probably sleeping.
But I love indie authors. I mean, I am one. And I want to support them, learn from them, and be entertained by them. So I’m making it my mission to read more indies. And when I find one that I love, I’ll post the book over on the left side in the order in which I find it.
- I won’t tell anyone what I’m reading unless I end up liking it…and, therefore, if I don’t like something, nobody will ever know.
- I won’t post anyone’s book that I regularly have regular, previous contact with through facebook/email. I’m trying to avoid the natural pressure to “help my friends”. For the two already there, I read them before we became friends.
- I won’t post any books by mega-indie authors like Hugh Howey and Russel Blake. Because they don’t need my help.
- I won’t take any free books from people, nor respond to lobbying efforts. I will probably build my reading list from the billions of indie authors over on kboards.com. If anyone replies to this post with books that they want me to read, more power to you, but I can’t respond.
- If I like a book, I may put a review here, but I won’t on Goodreads or Amazon. It’s complicated…
So that’s it.
4 responses to “Indie reading/support project”
I was planning on doing this too. I have over 30 books on my kindle, mostly indie authors, that I just haven’t gotten around to reading. I think I’ve got something like 180 samples, once again mainly indie, that I need to read and decide on too.
Awesome 🙂 Let me know when you post something?
Will do, I’ve got a couple library books to finish first, but once those are done I’ll start reading all those indie books I’ve built up
Pingback: Three Steps For Awesome Indie Success | carolkean